Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Doors Purchased Today

Today I purchased two sound blocking IsoDoors for the two main bedrooms in my home.  These doors will be specially made with Purebond hardwood plywood instead of MDF.  Purebond plywood uses no formaldehyde based adhesives or isocyanates.  Sound Isolation Store was very helpful in working out this option for me.  However, tooting my own horn, I was the one who discovered and tested the Purebond plywood myself (the store had suggested using exterior grade plywood, which still has formaldehyde but emits less).

Delivery expected in 3 weeks.  I chose white seals and brass hardware.

Last week I scheduled appointments with air conditioning service and John Jones Electric and they will be coming up soon.  The AC appointment is for maintenance, but I also asked if they could estimate the cost of an A/C return for the Queen's room.

I have drawn a very nice diagram of the new network wiring to be done by John Jones Electric.  I am concerned that it has been getting very hot and I should have done this earlier.  I also bought a new full face respirator because my old one now has a fault.  I was thinking offering it to TJ when he goes into the attic.

The house two doors down has had For Sale sign removed and now has For Rent sign but no business name listed (only phone number).  No change to the vacancy of two nearby houses yet, and the house next door is still listed for sale for $76,000.

A misunderstanding and miscommunication  (entirely my fault...but main problem was I couldn't find my phone to return a call for 2 hours) led to another case of my friend skipping my party on Sunday and not talking to me until Monday, and still angry at me until at least Wednesday.  This made me very sad and I took every opportunity to send messages to try to get her back on board.  When she doesn't call or visit, the only thing I can do is text, and it's often frustrating, and she often doesn't read my texts for a day or more (and I wonder if she reads all of them even then...when there are 7 or more on the stack).  She didn't respond to any of my 7 texts on Sunday, for example, as I was telling her about the party and hoping she would come over.  She only gave a brief call on Monday.  I was glad she called, because when she doesn't call or text I quickly get worried that I'm not going to see her again.  She has been calling every day this week so we seem to be back on the rails, maybe, though possibly set back a few miles again.

Last night she repeated something interesting, she said she would like to live alone but that would not be practical.  Well what does that mean, that she is going to live with me?  At least she didn't say otherwise, as she has done often this year.  She had taken great interest in the new Queen's Room at various times this year, then at other times talked about how the future might be at her current house.  Her latest concern was that I was spending too much money on the doors.  She didn't even like the fact that I had spent over $600 on the first door, suggesting I could have gotten something for far less, and that it was wrong that I was spending so much money.  She asked me specifically how much the new door would cost and I refused to say--saying instead that I think spending money is good, and this is a good thing to be spending money on.  It almost seems as if she wants to keep expectations low, especially expectations that she might move over.   I often think that this is all part of her obsession to be the best mother possible for her 18 yo daughter.  Contra her feelings, I very much want her to move over, I think it would be good for both of us, and could be wonderful.  I'm not assuming that anything else about our relationship will get better, but it would be very nice to see her instead of worrying for days why she isn't responding (as has happened many many times--including this Sunday).

On a rare personal visit on Saturday, she brought her daughter's new dog (the one daughter doesn't spend enought time with) over for a chat in the back yard.  I then reiterated my desire to have her move over (she had been talking more and more about things she would do at her existing home into the indefinite future).  And I said that I felt strongly that her home life and work life was stressing her out.  It always seems to me when she comes from home she sounds angry, but then by the end of our date she's sounding very nice again.

But on Wednesday she wanted to deny strongly that she was being stressed out by her job or her family.  I could only say OK.  But it seems to me, still more repression and denial that her obsessive parenthood isn't grinding her down, and she can't see what it's doing to others (herself and me) and it isn't even good for her daughter.  Seems like if she were more honest she could admit to some stress from her job and child, and then deny that it was serious.  But Wednesday she wasn't admitting any stress.  I have been very worried about her physical and mental health from the beginning of the year after she lost her previous job of 2 years.  She often (when she even calls) admits to being tired.  She seems to have much less sense of humor also.

Anyway, after already spending $45k on my home to make it two person friendly (and other nice virtues) I do often wonder if I might have been better off buying one of the homes near me.  I could then let my friend use it with or without rent.  She has liked this idea, except she only thinks I should bid $20k, or maybe $30k, for these houses.  Well I am tempted to bid, but it would hardly seem sensible to bid $30k for the home next to me.  They would be insulted I am sure.

But thinking about this, if I did get someone to take $50k, say, for the house next door, what would be the monthly cost, with payoff in 10 years?  A mortgage calculator including tax says $529.  That's definitely dooable.  I've offered my friend $2k per month stipend, so $529 would be piece of cake, unless I had to do both.

But my feeling now, unlike 4 years ago (when buying another house seemed like hot idea, except for the cost) that living together with someone you love is very much better than living in separate houses.  Even if you have to put up with a little stuff.  And of course the cost goes way beyond the purchase price and taxes.




No comments:

Post a Comment