Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Monday, January 7, 2013

Slow moving out to Lyndhurst

I knew it was going to be a cold weekend.  Wintery weather was forecast.  Actually, it wasn't as wintery as predicted and there wasn't any significant precipitation after Friday night.

So I wasn't expecting I would be able to, but as it turned out I took a little time both on Saturday and Sunday to move stuff out to Lyndhurst.  I moved just a few things on Saturday when it was still quite cold, and spend more than an hour moving stuff on Sunday.

Fortunately, the inside of Lyndhurst isn't getting full yet, but I'm frustrated by the fact that the ladder gets right in the way of where I would be stacking boxes and plastic bins otherwise.

The key achievements this weekend were inside my house.  I wouldn't pull out the "transformation" hyperbole just yet, but some areas inside my house are better organized than they have been in years.  All 4 bedrooms saw substantial improvement in organization.  And improvement is getting easier too.

The 4th bedroom, the converted garage room, also called "the exercise room" has been essentially impassible for at least a year and a half.  I do walk through the room daily to go from hallway to garage, but that was the only clear path.  Starting from that path at the front of the room, further ingress was blocked by two large boxes, scattered tubes of caulk, planter pots, and other junk.  This gridlock was cleared on Sunday by moving several things to Lyndhurst, the 10 foot FM antenna, the 10 foot box containing backing rods for fixing concrete gaps around my house (which I didn't get around to doing in 2012 as hoped), the special self leveling caulk for filling gaps.  Also moving some things to the car for taking to Goodwill.  Plastic shopping bags were collected and put into box inside car also.  Also, the boxes that line the right wall have seen some reorganization and the equipment on top of them has been merged in with other equipment elsewhere.  It's now possible to enter into the room about 4 feet or so, and access all of the boxes on the right side of the room, and the piles of equipment on the left side.  The ultimate plan for the boxes on the right side is to have only one instead of two layers of boxes along the wall on the right side.  The layer that will remain is the now front layer which has been getting better organized itself.  There are now sorted boxes containing A/C adapters, X10 gizmos, RF cables, and AC outlet strips, among others.  Those will remain in this room for convenience, but stuff like old videos and magazines, typically in the back row of boxes, will get moved out, because they don't get looked at often if ever.

In the master bedroom, there was a pile of junk in the right corner that finally got cleared out, allowing the rearrangement of all the space in the closet so stuff is no longer filling half the bedroom.  There was a still boxed Belkin UPS which I plan to use in computer room eventually--it got taken to Lyndhurst with the help of a dolly.  There was a Denon 2900 which is still minty but I may never use again (because I have better stuff now, like Denon 3910 and 5900 currently in use, as well as an Oppo BDP-95).  The 2900 got taken out to Lyndhurst.  There was also a flakey 5900 that needs a new laser.  That was combined with another 5900 from the 4th bedroom and placed into the Skandia shelves in the 2nd bedroom.  So once that pile of junk was cleared, the remaining closet area was rearranged leaving my dumbbells  accessible for the first time in years, and everything basically tucked back in the closet, much neater looking.  Also some speakers on the high closet shelf were moved out to Lyndhurst, making room for some times that had been permanently in the near-closet-floor area.

In the 2nd bedroom, there was considerable re-arranging of stuff on the Skandia shelves, with some of the equipment I doubt much I'll use again being moved out to Lyndhurst.  The floor near the shelves was cleared, and the 3 main boxes on the bottom (for RF cables, AC cables, and computer cables) have now been cleared of surplus cables (that were spilling out everywhere in the room), and now back in place with their cables neatly wrapped.  For the first time in a year or more it was possible to move the chair around.

I didn't clear much stuff out of the 3rd bedroom, but I continued using it this weekend mainly for sorting out the boxes of cables from the 2nd bedroom, which was a major effort requiring many hours of work continuing from last weekend to this one.  I was able to remove the hardest thing to deal with of all--the picture of my mother, which was laying flat on the table. For sentimental reasons, I didn't want to put that picture in any box, but could no longer hand sit it on the mantle in the living room (because it rattles) or hang it on any wall (because the hanger is broken).  I found the perfect spot on top of my Skandia shelving in the 2nd bedroom for it.  So the picture of my deceased mother is now on display in the room that few girlfriends will dare to enter anyway (it's the computer and electronics workroom filled with electronics junk)--so that's the best place in the house for her.

I took the speakers from the master bedroom closet out to Lyndurst on Monday morning also to check the temperature out there.  I don't know exactly where I put the RF thermometer and was wondering if I could actually trust it anymore.  Well the room was as warm as the thermometer said, despite having just been through a night where it got to freezing outside.  So all is working fine, the room is staying warm with the heater on lowest power setting.  The Lyndhurst chemical smell is barely noticeable mostly, but when I went out there on a particularly humid morning last week it was more noticeable than I would have liked.

Now I wish I had taken "before" pictures of the other rooms, as I did for the 3rd bedroom in mid December.  Just believe me, the 2nd and 4th bedrooms were about as bad or worse.  And now, my house is become more like a house and less like a warehouse.  And that was really the point of building Lyndhurst.

No comments:

Post a Comment