Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Friday, September 7, 2012

two more lights

I set up two of the Frontgate solar flood lights today, on the pink Crepe Myrtle and the Holly near the gate.  These lights are obviously much better made than the Smith and Hawken (S&H) lights from Target, at not much higher price.  But will they light for as long and as well?

I also replaced the S&H light on the Pomegranate simply by exchanging the flood light with another one.  This week I purchased some nuts which might be able to repair the broken S&H light later.

As I was setting up to do this, the new S&H flood light broke apart in my hands, apparently having not been assembled completely.  The base, glass lens, and lens retainer came apart.  I was able to get them put back together.

I have been worried about yellow leaves on the Pomegranate.  On Thursday afternoon, I removed a few.  But then I seemed to see even more yellow leaves on Friday afternoon.  The ground below it doesn't give a consistent moisture reading.  That is probably the underlying problem, which may mend with time as the roots get better, or need major soil remediation.  Online research suggests Pomegranates often get a fungus which produces yellow leaves.  It can be treated in the spring with a copper fungicide.

I don't think it's a matter of overwatering or underwatering, though it's more on the overwatering side.  But I've already cut back the Zone 2 cycle to 12 minute watering times.  I don't think I can water much less at this time, or cause underwatering damage to this or other trees.

The new 15x4 Rainbird spray heads I ordered arrived.  I'm hoping to install this weekend to fix the underwatering on the pink crepe myrtle.

Lyndhurst is continuing to smell pretty good now.

The big plan for the weekend is to mow entire front yard, which badly needs it now, and edge by the sidewalk.  I could also install all of my new solar lights.  If I really get going, I could install the self-leveling caulk in the gaps around the front sidewalk to prevent them from turning into mini-lawns like they are now.


No comments:

Post a Comment