Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Monday, September 10, 2012

Second Weekend in September

I mowed Front lawn, including north and south sides all the way to neighbor's house (so no Mexican Petunias left standing).

(Didn't do: edging around lawn, filling in sidewalk gaps with caulk.)

Installed rectangular zone spray head on last sprinkler, and tested operation (it succesfully waters Crepe Myrtle tree for the first time).  Also reduced water output on head near Pomegranate tree by 50% or so.  Reduced water output on head near Wild Olive tree by about 30%.  Especially wrt the pomegranate tree, I'm hoping this will slow the spread of leaf fungus.  So I changed one sprinkler head and adjusted two others, and it was a lot of fun doing so even if I had to get wet just like a real sprinkler guy.  I also tested operation of the adjustment screw on a spare head.  Possibly other heads could use output reduction also.

I tried several different positions for the Frontgate tree lights nearest the gate, and came up with an approach that works beautifully without causing glare.  Glare turned out to be a big problem with the lighting setup I had created last week.  The correct approach is to aim the light toward the fence but through the tree.  This lights both tree and fence and keeps the glare-y light from pointing at people.  These low power LED lights may have considerable glare.  All the first 3 lights nearest the gate are now adjusted this way, as well as the re-adjusted light on bamboo along the west fence.

When done this way, the tree lighting is beautiful!

I have temporarily put the rock lights on the patio.  I was hoping they would light the oak tree and/or Lyndhurst.  The light they produce is very diffuse and actually lights up the whole "courtyard" area of the back yard (around the Oak tree).  It's a nice light effect, but when you are actually in the back yard the lights have a lot of glare when you are facing them, and you can't even see what is on the ground.  I will move them somewhere else, with the light facing a wall or building.

I did supplemental watering on the pink Crepe Myrtle and the Palm tree.

I pulled some Mexican Petunias near the gate and lots of ivy along the west fence.

I removed the old musty Organ Chair from Lyndhurst and put it back in the garage, but near to the front of the garage so that any smell (it actually doesn't seem to smell much anymore) will not seep through the bedroom walls but mostly get ventilated by cracks around the garage door.  I also moved two bags of soil out of Lyndhurst.  I'm thinking of the possibility of closing the doors to Lyndhurst if the weather gets rainy or cold, so I wanted to get the smelly bioactive stuff out of there.  The official deadline for closing the doors of Lyndhurst is November 1.  Lyndhurst continues to smell fine, I think that cleaning the bottom of the shelves last week was the biggest win.  I have begun feeling, for the first time, that Lyndhurst is a successful project in it's own right after all.

The new back door light fixture arrived on Monday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment