Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Garage Width

I need to redo the half conversion of my garage to make for slightly more garage space, because as it is now, I can't open both car doors inside the garage.  Also, FWIW, it would not be easy to fit a Tesla Model S, one of the cars I'd like to have, in my garage.  I barely fit my Prius into the garage and the Tesla is 10 inches wider.

My garage is 98 inches wide.  It turns out that many Tesla Model S owners have even narrower garages, all the way down to about 90 inches.

A recent standard for single car garage is 12 feet wide (144 inches), however in the past they were smaller.  The 8 foot wide garage was standard in many places with high population density, such as Santa Monica, until recently.  Santa Monica currently has a 10.5 foot minimum garage width (126 inches) but grandfathers older garages at 8 feet.

I think a 120-126 inch width would work up to the rear edge of the Tesla front door, and which point I will make the garage slightly narrower so I can make the room wide enough for my exercise equipment.  Strangely Tesla gives no such comprehensive dimensions, but it looks like the rear edge of the front door is about midway on the length of the nearly 200 inch long car.  So I'll take 100 inches as a first pass guesstimate.

Actually, there needs to be space in front of the car, and space around the back of the rear edge of the front door to actually have a person get in.  These two adjustments put the requirement for extra width out to about 130 inches.  Well that would require eliminated the row of storage boxes behind the exercise equipment.  I think I can actually get by with more like 124 inches, which can be done while keeping the storage boxes.

So the outline of the garage from door to inside is like this, being wider near front:

    ********
    ********
    ********
    ********
**********
**********
**********
**********
**********

From the inside, the garage gets narrower about 124 inches in, which allows opening a Tesla door and getting in/out.

I've decided against angling the garage wall, since I now thing the converted room would look better with rectangular walls and just a jog at the required point shown above.


No comments:

Post a Comment