Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Tree Stake Removed

I removed the support on my small oak tree last Saturday afternoon.

The support had come with the tree in the original can it came in.  The nursery said it should be removed only after one growing season.  The nursery itself planted the tree in July 2012.

I could have removed it in 2013 but I forgot until late enough in the season that I decided to wait until spring of 2014.  Even now, a friend worried about removing it.  But I've always had the opposite worry, about leaving the support on too long for the tree to develop correctly.

Here's an article on removing tree stakes.

I still haven't removed the stakes on the Pomagranate, which was planted in August 2012 by some landscaping people.  The tree nearly fell over last year and I had the people who planted it come back and restake it then.  At the time, I feared for its very survival, but it has done OK.  It was problematic for many reasons…basically the hole was made too big in very hard clay soil, backfilled with soft soil, so the tree took on a permanent tilt.  Because of wire in the ground, it had to be placed either too close to the fence (as it was actually planted) or too far into my lot for walking convenience.  Last year it started growing branches on the reverse side, so it is beginning to seem more balanced.  Because of this, I'm putting the unstaking off until next year.  It is only supported very close to the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment