Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Sheets for Adjustable Beds

It's surprisingly difficult to google for sheets for adjustable beds because "adjustable bed sheets" could also mean sheets that are adjustable but intended for flat beds, and such "adjustable sheets" are quite common.

I emailed Chris Mullins from SleepingOrganic.com and he was very helpful as he has been all along (having answered about 20 of my emails so far...well, he got my big order for the adjustable bed and mattress too...I don't bug businesspeople if I'm not serious about making a buy, and if they answer my questions ok they get the order).  He suggested a sheet with 13" pocket would be fine, and that the SleepingOrganic sheets came that way.  (I'm not sure if he meant they ALWAYS come with 13" pocket, or whether this is a special order.)  I emailed him back asking to buy a set.

I also found two websites with sheets specially made for adjustable beds.  GoldenRest has a large number of options, including Organic sheets (at an even higher price than SleepingOrganic).  If I were to buy from them, I might go straight for the highest priced 600TC sheets.  Their ordering process requires you to specify thickness of mattress.  I might want to have my mattress on hand for that, or add 1 inch to the nominal 10" thickness it is supposed to be, or maybe 2 inches.  But unlike Chris' recommendation, GoldenRest uses wings and anchor straps.  I'm not sure if that method is as good as the large pocket method.  The "wings" especially sound funky...what's going to pull the sheet back under the mattress if it pulls out?  Still, I might try their offering later.

BeyondBeds.com offers the sheets made by Leggett and Platt for adjustable beds.  Just as Chris advised, these sheets simply have an extra large pocket (though I'm not sure if it's the 13" he recommended).  Now the Leggett and Platt home collection is available elsewhere, but just as I described in the first paragraph, it's incredibly hard to find retailers who sell the ones made specifically for adjustable beds because Leggett and Platt makes flat beds too.  The offering by BeyondBeds sounded just right (though, not Organic fwiw) in quality and price and brand-name (of a leading adjustable bed manufacturer) as well, so I have just now ordered a set from them.

I'm not sure I've ever had a Sateen sheet set before.  I've always gone for Percale, which is smoother than Muslin.  I think of my mother's favorite muslin sheets which to me were like sandpaper.  But Sateen is said to be the smoothest, so we'll see.  We'll also see about the durability.  My current two sets of sheets are from Mervyn's, a store that no longer exists.  I think I bought them in the mid 1990's.  So they're at least 15 years old, and as far as I can tell as good as new, not that they were all that special when they were new, but still a fairly smooth percale, in black.  I haven't found any sheet sets made for adjustable beds in black, so I'm ordering an "ivory" color instead, (or "natural" from SleepingOrganic).



No comments:

Post a Comment