Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

More cleaning

On the first Saturday in December, I resumed cleaning the inside walls, starting where I left off at the north edge of the french doors, and around to the north side to the far edge of the air conditioner.  (Except for the floor level below the air conditioner, the ladder was there, so I will do that later.)

The cleaning of the oil-painted trim around the air conditioner  was important because it really needed to be done before I finish sealing the unit on the inside, with a strip of foam in the gap underneath the unit.  I also need to cut (from the spare strip I got with the A/C) two tiny pieces to jam in either side, where there are also small gaps.

As it was there, I also cleaned the wood shelf on the north side just to the east of the air conditioner.  Like all the other shelves, it had accumulated a second round of bug grime, or something like that, with lots of actual dead bugs too, and a few live ones.  This dark bug grime accumulated in the 5 months since I cleaned this shelf the first time, in July or thereabouts.  The top of the shelf was the last thing I cleaned, because I knew it would get my cloth and water dirty.  Most other surfaces I cleaned were not visibly dirty.  I also cleaned underneath the shelves, which had been done before also.

I finally decided to put up the window screen as I was keeping the window open for ventilation until 11pm and I wanted to avoid mosquitos and other bugs.  I had never put up the window screen before because it came with a factory defect, a small hole in one side, and I was planning to get that fixed.  But of course I didn't get around to getting it fixed.  Now I think I'll just put some tape over the hole until I have a convenient time to get it fixed.

To avoid mosquitoes, I also put out my Mosquito Cognito outside in front of the front door.  I was not bothered by mosquitoes, and though the temperature outside dipped to the mid 60's I was very comfortable inside, with the electric heater.

I examined the gaps on the bottom corners of the air conditioner, and added a little more mortite on each side for the inner gaps (which are in front of a tiny channel that goes all the way out the back of the A/C for drainage).  There was basically nothing I could do to block that channel on the outside.

The side channels between the A/C Chassis and the Sleeve are filled with the dark foam strip provided by the manufacturer (the installation was done hurridly by the contractor, I tried to stall him so I could do it myself).  There are tiny gaps where the foam doesn't reach on either side at the bottom.  I'm going to fill those with tiny additional pieces of foam leftover from sealing the gap at the bottom when I do that.

Which I was planning to do today, Tuesday, but I found that I had no clean pair of scissors to cut the foam, so I spent 20 minutes cleaning two pairs of scissors instead.

Temperatures inside Lyndhurst are typically about 80 degrees, according to wireless thermometer I can read in my living room.  The heater thermostat was set to 1.5 so I turned it down to 1.0.  I hope to install the digital thermostat soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment