Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Other things I did this week

I finally replaced the electrical switch cover in the bathroom with a Jumbo size Ivory color plate.  Home  Depot only sells the Jumbo plate I need (to cover up gaps in the sheetrock) in the white color, even through Home Depot Online.  I had been using the white color plate for the last couple weeks since I replaced the switches two weeks ago.  It is very nice to finally have the correct Ivory color.  I ordered it from Ace Hardware, and it arrived on Monday.

I finished cleaning the contacts on my living room clock.  That clock has been out of commission for about 5 months.  It stopped working, and just a month later I found the batteries had filled the battery compartment with terrible corrosion.  A month ago I removed the batteries and applied a heavy coat of Deoxit to the contacts and let them soak.  This week I cleaned off the Deoxit with Everclear (95% alcohol) using about 40 Q tips.  When the battery compartment was as clean as it could get (some contacts weren't shiny anymore) I applied a thin coat of Deoxit to the critical contact points.

Then I replaced the batteries and spent an hour going through the start-up ritual for this clock.  You have to give it 15 minutes before you press any buttons so it can establish radio contact with the outdoor temperature sensor (which I actually keep in the master bedroom, that's the temperature I care about).  And if you forget to do that, as I always do, you need to remove the batteries and then wait another 15 minutes before re-inserting them.  Then after inserting the batteries, and waiting 15 minutes, you press the buttons to select time zone, and key in the actual time.  Then it tries to set the precise time by radio, but that always fails during the daytime.  The clock did set time by radio that night.  So now it's back to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment