Lyndhurst Garden House

Lyndhurst Garden House
Lyndhurst Garden House

Friday, August 5, 2011

July 23 -- Lucky Day?

On July 23 I rented a climate controlled 5x10 storage unit near where I live and began putting stuff in it.  I had actually reserved a 10x10 unit without climate control online before, but once I saw the larger unit, complete with gaps under the door, and facing the southwest sun, I decided that maybe a climate controlled unit was a better deal after all, and maybe I could make do with just 5x10.

This had to be done.  It was just getting too difficult to get around my house and prepare for my monthly party on July 24.  I expect the Shed/Workshop, when finished, will eventually meet all my exterior storage needs, but at this point it's getting hard to know when it will be finished, and I don't want to feel pressured to finish it quickly rather than doing things the right way, and building quality in every way, as I would like to do.

I have had bad luck with storage units before.  After paying thousands to store extra junk from my previous house in San Diego, I had to quickly abandon everything to Salvation Army or garbage when I was clearing out my current house out for a rental (which never happened) and the storage unit to save money (which I didn't have) when I had moved to San Francisco in 1997 (and then came back a few months later).  Thousands of dollars for nothing but hassle.  And the place got extremely hot and occasionally leaked too, damaging stuff that had been left there since 1992.  And I got socked with extra charges on leaving, just to add insult to injury.  That was in Kirby about 2 miles from where I live.

The new storage location is much nicer, and it's only about a half mile from where I live.  Uncle Bob's Self Storage.  The climate controlled unit is behind a door in a hallway in what seems to be a new and fairly robust steel building.



One funny thing about all this was that my odometer turned 77777 just as I arrived at the storage unit with a load of stuff.  That seems it would be a lucky omen.  And further, the storage unit is marked "7" also, although it's actually number 407.


Then again, there is that loop of wire under the door, which looks a little like a noose.

1 comment:

  1. A wheelchair and a pet carrier? Do you really need those things?

    ReplyDelete